Thanks to everyone who attended the September Chatham CERT meeting with guest speaker David Musick.
You can view a copy of his presentation here.
Here is some additional information from David Musick:
Duplin County approved for nearly $2 million for hurricane preparedness
DUPLIN COUNTY, NC (WITN) The State of North Carolina and FEMA are awarding more than $1.8 million to eliminate flood risks at certain repetitively damaged properties in Duplin County following Hurricane Florence. The funds will acquire 17 residential structures in Duplin County to convert them to open spaces and conserve natural floodplain functions. Natural floodplains help to minimize disaster-related property damage and expenses because they slow runoff, absorb floodwaters and control erosion. FEMA reimburses 75 percent of eligible costs and the remaining 25 percent is covered by the state. FEMA’s share for these projects is more than $1.3 million and the state’s share is approximately $460,000. The federal share is paid directly to the state to disburse to local governments. FEMA previously approved $23 million to acquire 155 other flood-prone properties in North Carolina following Hurricane Florence. The agency provides funding for property acquisitions through its Hazard Mitigation Grant Program. HMGP funding encourages states and local governments by funding projects to help communities eliminate or reduce disaster-related damage.
Atlantic Beach to receive $8 million dollars to fund beach sand project
ATLANTIC BEACH, Carteret County — If all goes as planned, Bogue Banks beaches will be back to their pre-Florence condition, by spring, at no cost to the Town of Atlantic Beach. Carteret County Commissioners have approved $28.2 million for a beach nourish project which includes $8 million to place sand on 2.7 miles of the town’s beachfront from the Circle to the Pine Knoll Shores town limits. Most of that money comes from the county’s beach nourishment fund, which receives half of the revenue from the county’s occupancy tax. Officials say the rest of the funds are from other federal and state funding sources.
Mayor Trace Cooper, III says, “We have been planning a large beach nourishment project for the west side of Atlantic Beach. Now, thanks to help from Carteret County’s Beach Fund and the State of North Carolina, we will be able to put sand on these beaches with no cost to the Town of Atlantic Beach. This project will rebuild dunes lost during Hurricane Florence and extend the flat part of the beach. This will provide protection for homes and room to play on the sand for years to come. We are particularly grateful for the efforts of Representative Pat McElraft in the NC General Assembly to secure the state’s portion of this funding.” The General Assembly allocated $18 million to help local governments pay for Florence-related beach projects last year and of that, Carteret County got more than $15 million. The Federal Emergency Management Agency announced it had approved $18 million in federal and state sand replacement funds for the island.
Hurricane Florence proved to be one of the most substantial storms on record and officials say Beaufort recorded a storm surge of 5.1 feet above sea level and Emerald Isle recorded a peak surge of 10.1 feet. Fortunately for Atlantic Beach, officials say the highest recorded storm surge was 3.75 feet above sea level with no flood damage to oceanfront structures, nor any breaches of the frontal dune and beachfront structural damage was limited to walkways only with no significant damage to the structural integrity of homes. The annual erosion rate along Bogue Banks is about 2 to 3 cubic yards per linear foot but Hurricane Irene in 2011 increased that number to 12 cubic yards and during Hurricane Florence officials recorded 40 cubic yards of erosion. The beach commission estimated that Atlantic Beach lost more than 400,000 cubic yards of sand during Hurricane Florence and up to 21 feet of beach frontage. The project is scheduled to begin in Atlantic Beach in January, move west along Bogue Banks, and be completed by mid-February. Following that officials say the seeding of sea oats will take place.
The new sand may cover the previous installation of homeowners private steps installed oceanward of their property line and officials say step replacement will be at the homeowner’s expense and must be completed according to state CAMA guidelines. The area from the Circle to the Pine Knoll Shores Town limit last received the placement of sand in 1994 and officials say the east side beach strand, from the Circle to Fort Macon State Park, receives the placement of sand from the routine dredging of the Morehead City port channel, which was last re-nourished in 2017.